In London, several private airports cater to private and business aviation. These private airports offer exclusive facilities and services for private jet owners, operators, and passengers.
Here are the top ten private airports in and around London
London Heathrow (LHR / EGLL)
London Heathrow Airport is a bustling international airport known for its extensive network of flights, modern infrastructure, and excellent passenger facilities. Its strategic location, transport links, and extensive airline options make it popular for travellers visiting London or connecting to other destinations globally.
- Location: Heathrow Airport is located in the western part of London, approximately 14 miles west of central London. The airport lies in the borough of Hillingdon.
- International Airport: Heathrow is a major international airport and the primary gateway to London and the United Kingdom.
- Terminals: The airport has four main passenger terminals.
- Runways and Air Traffic Control: Heathrow Airport has two parallel runways, designated as 09L/27R and 09R/27L.
- Airlines and Destinations: Heathrow is served by many airlines, offering flights to hundreds of domestic and international destinations.
- Transport Links: Heathrow Airport has excellent transport links to several parts of the United Kingdom, including Central London. It is served by the London Underground (Piccadilly Line), trains, buses, and taxis. Additionally, there are ample parking facilities available for those travelling by car.
London Gatwick (LGW – EGKK)
London Gatwick Airport is a bustling international airport with extensive passenger facilities and many flight options. Its convenient location, transport links, and extensive airline network make it a popular choice for travellers visiting London and the surrounding areas.
- Location: London Gatwick Airport is situated South of London, making it an important transportation hub for domestic and international air travel.
- International Airport: Gatwick Airport is one of the busiest airports in the United Kingdom and serves as a primary international gateway to London and the surrounding region.
- Terminals: The airport has two main terminals, North Terminal and South Terminal, catering to domestic and international flights.
- Airlines and Destinations: Gatwick Airport connects to cities worldwide including the Middle East, North America, and Europe.
- Transport Links: Gatwick Airport has excellent transport links, including direct train services to central London, coach services, and road connections via the M23 and M25 motorways.
London Oxford Airport (OXF/ EGTK)
London Oxford Airport offers a tranquil and well-equipped aviation facility for general aviation users. Its range of services, flight training options, and proximity to Oxford makes it an appealing choice for private pilots, recreational flyers, and those seeking aviation education.
- Location: London Oxford Airport is in the Oxfordshire countryside, providing a serene and picturesque setting for general aviation activities.
- General Aviation Airport: London Oxford Airport primarily caters to general aviation, including private and recreational aviation, flight training, and private aircraft operations. It offers facilities and services tailored to the needs of general aviation users.
- Runway and Air Traffic Control: London Oxford Airport has a single asphalt runway, designated as Runway 01/19.
- Business Aviation: London Oxford Airport primarily serves general aviation but is also popular among business aviation users. It offers services and facilities for private jet operators, including executive lounges, aircraft handling, customs and immigration clearance, and other related services.
- Flight Training: The airport is home to several flight training schools, making it an attractive destination for individuals seeking pilot training and aviation education.
Blackbushe Airport (BBS – EGLK)
Blackbushe Airport provides a dedicated aviation facility for general aviation users in southern England.
- Location: Blackbushe Airport is approximately 40 miles southwest of Central London, making it easily accessible for general aviation activities in the region.
- General Aviation Airport: Blackbushe primarily serves general aviation, including private and recreational aviation, flight training, and private aircraft operations.
- Facilities and Services: The airport offers a range of facilities and services for general aviation, including a terminal building, aircraft hangars, aircraft parking, flight training schools, aircraft maintenance services, and fueling facilities.
- Flight Training: Blackbushe is home to several flight training schools, making it a popular choice for individuals seeking pilot training and aviation education.
- Customs and Immigration: The airport has customs and immigration facilities available on request, allowing for international flights and customs clearance.
- Events and Airshows: Blackbushe Airport occasionally hosts aviation events, airshows, and fly-ins, attracting aviation enthusiasts and providing opportunities for pilots and aircraft owners to showcase their aircraft.
London Raf Northolt Jet Centre (NHT/ EGWU)
London RAF Northolt Jet Centre provides a dedicated private jet facility within a military airbase setting. It offers tailored services and facilities for private jet travellers, albeit with some restrictions and security considerations.
- Location: The London RAF Northolt Jet Centre is situated approximately 12 miles West of Central London, making it a popular choice for private jet operations in the London area.
- Military Airport with Private Jet Facilities: RAF Northolt is primarily a military airbase but has a dedicated private jet facility known as the Northolt Jet Centre. The Jet Centre provides services exclusively for private jet owners, operators, and passengers.
- Restricted Access: As a military airbase, access to RAF Northolt and the Jet Centre is restricted and subject to specific security protocols. Prior arrangements and permissions may be required for private jet operations.
- Limited Operating Hours: It’s worth noting that RAF Northolt has limited operating hours and specific time slots available for private jet operations. This is due to its primary role as a military airbase.
London City Airport Private Jet Centre (LCY / EGLC)
London City Airport Private Jet Centre offers a premium and convenient option for private jet travellers seeking access to Central London. Its location, dedicated facilities, and tailored services make it a preferred choice for business executives, high-net-worth individuals, and those seeking a luxurious and efficient travel experience.
- Location: London City Airport Private Jet Centre is in the heart of London, which makes it an ideal choice for private jet operations to and from the city.
- Dedicated Private Jet Facilities: The Private Jet Centre within London City Airport offers exclusive facilities and services for private jet owners, operators, and passengers. It provides a seamless and efficient experience for private jet travel.
- Customised Services: The Private Jet Centre offers a range of customised services to cater to the specific needs of private jet travellers. These services may include dedicated lounges, concierge services, on-site customs and immigration clearance, aircraft handling, and fueling.
- Efficient Check-in and Security: The Private Jet Centre at London City Airport ensures efficient check-in and security procedures, minimising waiting times for passengers and providing a streamlined experience.
- Business and Financial Hub: London City Airport is particularly popular among business and financial travellers as it is very close to London City and Canary Wharf, two major business districts. The Private Jet Centre caters to the needs of this clientele, offering convenient access to corporate headquarters and financial institutions.
London Biggin Hill Airport (BQH / EGKB)
London Biggin Hill Airport provides a specialised and dedicated aviation environment for general aviation users, particularly private and business aircraft operators. Its historical significance, range of services, and convenient location make it attractive for those seeking personalised and efficient aviation services in the London area.
- Location: London Biggin Hill Airport is situated approximately 12 miles Southeast of Central London, making it easily accessible for general aviation activities in the London area.
- General Aviation Airport: London Biggin Hill primarily serves general aviation, including private and business aircraft, charters, and recreational aviation.
- Facilities and Services: The airport offers a range of facilities and services tailored to general aviation needs. These include a modern terminal building, FBO services, private lounges, customs and immigration facilities, aircraft handling, and maintenance services.
- Business and Executive Aviation: London Biggin Hill Airport is popular among business and executive aviation users. It provides dedicated services for private jet operators and corporate aircraft, including hangar facilities, executive lounges, and concierge services.
- Historical Significance: As an RAF fighter station, Biggin Hill Airport was crucial during the Second World War. It has a rich aviation history and is home to the Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar, which preserves and restores vintage aircraft.
London Luton Airport (LTN / EGGW)
London Luton Airport is an essential gateway for travellers to and from London, offering a range of domestic and international flight options. It strives to provide a convenient and efficient travel experience with its modern facilities and transportation connections.
- Location and Accessibility: London Luton Airport is situated North of London and easily accessible by various transportation options. It is well-connected to the city and surrounding areas via road, rail, and bus networks.
- Airlines and Destinations: The airport serves as a base for several low-cost airlines and offers flights to various domestic and international destinations. Airlines operating from London Luton Airport include easyJet, Ryanair, Wizz Air, TUI Airways, and more.
- Terminal Facilities: London Luton Airport has a single passenger terminal, which underwent significant redevelopment and expansion in recent years.
- Transportation to/from the Airport: The airport provides several transportation options for travellers to reach central London and other destinations. These options include trains, coaches, taxis, and private transfers. Luton Airport Parkway railway station, located nearby, offers direct train services to London and other cities.
- Parking: London Luton Airport offers a range of parking options, including short-stay, long-stay, and mid-stay parking facilities.
- Business and Executive Aviation: London Luton Airport also caters to business and executive aviation through its private jet facilities. It provides dedicated services for private jet operators and offers FBO services, executive lounges, and aircraft handling.
Farnborough Airport (FAB/ EGLF)
Farnborough Airport provides a premium experience for private and business aviation, offering specialised facilities and services to meet the needs of corporate travellers, private jet owners, and charter flights. Its strategic location, modern infrastructure, and focus on business aviation make it a preferred choice for those seeking efficient and exclusive air travel in London.
- Location: Farnborough Airport is situated approximately 35 miles Southwest of Central London, making it a convenient choice for private and business aviation in the London area.
- Privately Owned: Farnborough Airport is privately owned and operated by Farnborough Airport Ltd. It primarily caters to business and private aviation.
- Business Aviation Hub: Farnborough Airport is known as one of Europe’s leading business aviation hubs. It is famous for private jet operations, charter flights, and corporate aviation activities.
- International Operations: Farnborough Airport can handle international flights. It has customs and immigration facilities on-site, allowing for customs clearance and immigration procedures for passengers arriving from or departing from international destinations.
- Business and Conference Facilities: The airport features conference and meeting facilities, allowing for business events and meetings to be held on-site.
- Airshow: Farnborough Airport is famous for hosting the Farnborough International Airshow, a major global aerospace event every two years. The airshow showcases the latest developments in aviation technology and attracts industry professionals and enthusiasts worldwide.
London Stansted Airport (STN – EGSS)
London Stansted Airport is a primary gateway for travellers to and from London, offering many flight options and connections. Its location, accessibility, and modern facilities make it a famous choice for leisure and business travellers.
- Location and Accessibility: London Stansted Airport is situated Northeast of London and well-connected to the city and surrounding areas. It is easily accessible via road, rail, and bus networks.
- Airlines and Destinations: The airport is a hub for several low-cost and charter airlines. It offers various international and domestic flights to destinations across Europe, North America, Africa, and Asia. Airlines operating from London Stansted Airport include Ryanair, easyJet, Jet2, TUI Airways, and more.
- Terminal Facilities: London Stansted Airport has a single passenger terminal, which underwent expansion and refurbishment in recent years. The terminal provides various facilities and amenities, including check-in counters, security screening, duty-free shops, restaurants, cafes, lounges, currency exchange, and car rental services.
- Transportation to/from the Airport: The airport offers several transportation options for travellers to reach central London and other destinations. These options include trains, coaches, taxis, and private transfers. Stansted Airport railway station is adjacent to the terminal and provides direct train services to London and other cities.
- General Aviation: London Stansted Airport also caters to general aviation activities, providing services and facilities for private and recreational pilots.